BDO Unibank, Inc., commonly known as Banco de Oro or BDO, is a full-service universal bank in the Philippines. It provides a complete array of industry-leading products and services to individuals or small businesses, and large corporations and institutions.
In 2007, BDO merged with Equitable PCI Bank. As a result, BDO needed to establish a strategic brand framework to bring to life the business strategy post-merger and to align its culture with the combined bank’s vision.
“We were just coming off a merger of two big institutions with three distinct cultures and we were operating as an entity without a unified message, nor a common value proposition. We needed to unify our story under one brand proposition that is common and genuinely practiced across the whole Bank – one that is anchored on service, the genuine desire to help customers and the ability to think out of the box,” shared Nestor Tan, Director, President and Chief Executive Officer at BDO Unibank.
To achieve this, BDO worked with long time branding partner, Interbrand, to first establish a strong brand foundation and then to help the bank’s employees deliver the brand experience.
Working with clients across the region, Interbrand has found that effective employee engagement that truly drives business performance is rare. Too often, efforts suffer from several fundamental yet addressable flaws: First, leaders throughout the organization do not own employee engagement efforts – they tend to fall under the guidance of human resources or communications divisions without strong leadership from the top. Secondly, these efforts approach the workforce as one homogeneous entity and fail to acknowledge the very different needs and motivations of employees throughout the organization. As a result, messages become diluted and fail to resonate with intended audiences.
Today, the conventional view of employee engagement is that it’s primarily an internal communications endeavor with the fairly limiting objectives of sharing business goals and explaining how job functions support these goals. Such initiatives do not link employee behavior to the desired customer experience and thus fail to create real impact to the business.
After developing the strategic brand proposition “We find ways”, Interbrand worked with BDO on a number of initiatives that focused on building a stronger employer brand through employee engagement. The objective of these initiatives was not only to compete more effectively for talent, but also to embody the ‘We find ways’ service proposition through the company’s culture.
BDO’s branches are at the forefront of setting high standards as a sales and service-oriented, customer-focused force.
The customer experience is in many ways the sum total of what’s transpiring inside an organization, sometimes even indirectly. If there’s no alignment of internal behaviors, it seeps into the customer experience. Yet, if every individual in the business is aligned and working in harmony, then customers will experience that positive coherence every time they interact with the company. This brings about the very tangible benefits of more customers, greater loyalty, and premium pricing.
What was needed at BDO was a move away from simpler models of broadcasting in favor of a segmented, tailored approach that truly activated employees as agents of business growth – from understanding to action and from action to initiative.
“We recognized that sustaining the brand proposition was key, especially with the turnovers, and the growth and expansion of the business across markets and geographic location. We focused on the customer experiences we wanted to nurture and then worked with Interbrand to highlight the behaviors that brought BDO’s brand proposition to life,” added Tan.
The following practices have been key to delivering BDO’s employee engagement effectively:
- This was an initiative endorsed and led by BDO’s President and senior leadership. While employee engagement efforts may start from the bottom up or within one division, true organizational impact ultimately requires the support of top leadership.
- Segmenting the workforce similar to segmenting customers – it’s important to work not only with HR, but also key business and functional heads to understand the different needs of diverse employee groups. An individual working as a bank teller in the provinces will have different motivations than that of a senior banker working in head office.
- Move beyond internal communications – emphasize how to live the brand through actionable behaviors and link these actions to desired customer experiences.
- Help internal staff understand the role they play on the outside. Many back-office function employees don’t understand or even realize the vital role they play in delivering and influencing the customer experience.
- It’s important to generate a sense of momentum and energy. An effective tactic is to pilot programs that quickly demonstrate the positive business impact of engagement.
- Create scalable solutions that can easily be accessed and delivered through digital channels. For BDO, Interbrand created an internal socialization tool that allowed staff at all levels and all locations to search and share exemplary ‘We find ways’ success stories.
Today, BDO maintains a strong Number 1 or 2 market share position in almost every major product category of significance. It has become the overwhelming image leader in terms of defined brand attributes, critical awareness and patronage – surpassing its nearest competitors within three years of establishing its brand proposition.
Annual usage, attitude and image studies since 2010 show that customer experience in the branch network has been a major driver of BDO’s image, along with the advertising. Since the beginning, the BDO customer promise has been consistent and unchanged as “We find ways” – and supported by its customer service philosophy. This commitment is reflected in BDO’s customer tracking scores over the past 5 years, in which the bank’s main index score exceeds both regional and global standards. Additionally, among local multi-banking customers, the tracking likewise shows BDO’s significant advantage over its nearest competitors.
“Interbrand helped us with a program to instill behaviors in our staff that bring our brand proposition to life. More than a cultural aspiration, our employees genuinely practice ‘We find ways’ to help our customers. They’re engaged and are proud to work for BDO, always going the extra mile to ensure that customers receive the best overall banking experience, and deliver better results for all stakeholders,” concludes Tan.
Fujitsu IT Services and Solutions Case Studies
At Fujitsu we create strong partnerships with our customers, enabling us to work together to find innovative solutions to business challenges. Take a look at our complete list of case studies to find out more about how we can help your business.
Search our complete list of case studies by clicking 'Search by category' below. This will reveal a number of drop down boxes from which you can select your search options including industry, region and solution.
Latest Case Studies
- The Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Turkey increases productivity and reduces costs by deployment of a new Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
- TOBB deploys a new VDI built on Fujitsu servers, storage and end-user devices. It now enjoys enhanced security, better performance and improved productivity.
- The Early Contractor Involvement program supports Digital Railway’s to achieve its strategic business objectives
- Digital Railway introduced the ECI programme to exploit the best expertise across its supply chain. Fujitsu helped define six of the nine ECI workstreams.
- LIFEBOOK and Tablet Devices improves the productivity of Cafcass’ workforce and makes the digital transformation easier
- Cafcass has replaced its existing mobile devices with Fujitsu hybrid and laptop models, enabling enhanced mobility, longer battery life, and improved functionality.
- White Hat House improves elderly residents’ life by using UBIQUITOUSWARE as an effective IoT-based surveillance system
- White Hat House ensures its elderly residents’ safety and reduces costs with FUJITSU IoT Solution UBIQUITOUSWARE Remote Monitoring Station.
- Prisme solution helps Esbjerg Municipality to get digital and achieve an easier management of invoices
- To comply with the national digitization strategy, Esbjerg Municipality deploys Fujitsu Prisme, enabling better visibility, streamlined workflows, and flexible support.
- The University of Wismar raises its IT operational efficiency by using the Software Enterprise Service Catalog Manager enabling Hybrid Cloud Services
- The Fujitsu Enterprise Service Catalog Manager enables the University of Wismar to digitally transform the teaching process.
- CELSIUS workstations, ESPRIMO PCs and LIFEBOOK laptops, and PRIMEFLEX vShape supports the digital collaboration at London Design & Engineering UTC
- The London Design and Engineering University Technical College turned to Fujitsu’s best-in-class laptops and workstations to enable its students to thrive.
- PRIMEFLEX for SAP HANA ensures real-time predictive analysis and smarter decision-making to enable business growth of Al Khaleej Sugar
- Al Khaleej Sugar upgrades aging SAP infrastructure to FUJITSU Integrated System PRIMEFLEX for SAP HANA® - providing real-time mobile analytics and enabling growth.
- Itochu Enex consolidates the IT environment and reduces operational costs with Cloud Service K5 and SPARC M10 servers
- ITOCHU ENEX migrated its large-scale enterprise system to Fujitsu’s hybrid cloud, creating a flexible, scalable and responsive system with 30 percent cost savings.
- PRIMERGY Scale out servers and ETERNUS DX200 helps Josefs-Gesellschaft to grow and to integrate new partners
- Migration from IBM storage servers to Fujitsu ETERNUS and simultaneously replacing 52 existing blade servers with 16 Fujitsu PRIMERGY CX Scale-out servers.
- Cloud Service K5 and UForge AppCenter enable Formwize’s customers to create web-based forms on-premise with high scalability and flexibility
- Formwize chooses FUJITSU Cloud Service K5 and FUJITSU Software UForge AppCenter to become more agile, enabling it to automatically deploy software in a matter of hours.
- ETERNUS DX8700 ensures a robust and round-the-clock data performance to support the CCTV system of Gwangju City Hall
- Gwangju City Hall implements a new FUJITSU Storage ETERNUS DX8700 storage system to support the storage and management of 4TB, 4,200 camera CCTV system.
- The new virtualized infrastructure with ETERNUS DX200 and PRIMERGY RX2560 helps Krallmann Group to accelerate its back-up process
- The Krallmann Group increases the performance and reliability of its IT systems by distributing its capacities across three modern Fujitsu servers.
- The University of Regensburg gains from the new HPC cluster equipped with PRIMERGY CX600 servers, in terms of energy and cost efficiency
- "For the QPACE3 supercomputer and its complex simulations, Fujitsu created a cluster of powerful and efficient PRIMERGY CX600 servers."
- MetaArc and Cloud K5 enables Nav Assist to provide immediate test runs and demonstrations to their customers
- "Nav Assist chose FUJITSU Cloud Service K5 to support its Navisia Labor Management software, providing more choice for customers and revolutionizing sales and support."
- Linck benefits from ETERNUS AF250 All-Flash Storage Array and holds available all business-critical data in a redundant form on a mirrored system
- Thanks to FUJITSU Storage ETERNUS AF250, Linck Holzverarbeitungstechnik benefits from a very fast, highly-available and reliable all-flash storage system.
- The new Virtual Desktop Infrastructure including Thin Clients makes the sales staff of East Japan Marketing and Communications more efficient and clients happy
- "Converting computers into thin clients establishes a secure remote access environment – a work style innovation that makes sales staff more efficient."
- Canon USA runs a salesforce powered marketplace on Glovia OM cloud solution to automate the channel partners’ self-service portal
- Canon turns to FUJITSU GLOVIA® OM - enabling order and subscription management for it and hundreds of channel partners.
- The City of Calhoun increases the reliability of their digital services by implementing PRIMERGY and ETERNUS systems enabling disaster recovery
- The City of Calhoun replaces its 20 aging legacy servers with four Fujitsu servers across two locations. This enables the partial virtualization of the estate and added disaster recovery.
- FUJITSU Enterprise Postgres helps the Environment Agency to reach more people in the event of severe weather by exploiting new and emerging communications channels
- The Environment Agency replaced its aging Floodline Warnings Direct system with a new cloud-based Fujitsu solution that can reach more people quickly in emergencies.
- Kimplas Piping Systems gets a new level of service for SAP operations, and also full compliance with the Goods and Service Tax
- Kimplas partnered with Fujitsu to deploy a new SAP Services platform that now underpins the business and makes the generation of reports and invoices simple.
- By re-designing its data center to an IaaS private hosted cloud infrastructure, Kulzer profits from high levels of availability and security
- Separating from its former parent company gave Kulzer GmbH the opportunity to redesign its IT infrastructure. The company chose Fujitsu for its security and flexibility.
- Tokio Marine Asia benefits from the new round-the-clock incident resolution enabling furthermore compliance with regulations
- "Tokio Marine Group in Singapore outsources management of its IT infrastructure to Fujitsu, leading to faster incident resolution and compliance with regulations."
- The ICT Sustainability Benchmark helps Technical and Further Education New South Wales to introduce an e-waste policy
- FUJITSU Sustainability Benchmark enables TAFE NSW North region to evaluate the sustainability of its IT estate, making savings and becoming more efficient.
- Offering a near real-time disaster recovery system, PRIMEFLEX for VMware vSAN enables Multipartner to ensure increasingly efficient service level agreements for customers
- Multipartner selects Fujitsu PRIMEFLEX for VMware vSAN to support increasing workloads and ensure increasingly efficient service level agreements for customers.
- TasNetworks gets a Long-Haul Microwave Radio System to deploy new mobile communication services
- TasNetworks deployed the Fujitsu FRX-3 Microwave radio, reducing operational costs, improving throughput and providing increased visibility of performance.
- As a highly-secure biometric signature solution, Sign’IT enables Belfius‘ customers to open an banking account within five minutes
- Belfius leads the field in mobile banking and chose Fujitsu Sign’IT as a secure electronic signature solution to enable customers to open accounts via smartphone.
- ServiceNow improves all IT Service Management Processes at Belgian Isabel Group
- When the support for Isabel’s existing ITSM platform ended, the company turned to ServiceNow as a superior upgrade, selecting Fujitsu as its integration partner.
- The Italian Ministry of Labor and Social Policies transforms its technological infrastructure into a high-quality service approach
- The Italian Ministry of Labor selects Fujitsu as its single partner for maintaining IT infrastructure, improving performance and simplifying management.
- OpusCapita benefits from ServiceNow which correlates all incidents and events automatically with high efficiency
- OpusCapita partners with Fujitsu to deploy ServiceNow to create a single solution that can correlate incidents and events automatically for more efficiency.
- Managed Security Services and PalmSecure helps Hydro’s Brazilian business operations to align to global standards
- Hydro selects Fujitsu as its technology partner and migrates a Brazilian business to Fujitsu services and hardware, including PalmSecure and Security Operation Center.
- Artificial Intelligence Solution helps Siemens Gamesa to accelerate inspection of turbine blades
- Siemens Gamesa partners with Fujitsu to co-create an Artificial Intelligence platform that can identify flaws during quality checks more quickly.
- PRIMEFLEX enables iTAREX to offer flexible, scalable and cost-effective services
- "PRIMEFLEX for Storage Spaces Direct enables hosting specialist iTAREX to provide quick, flexible, cost-effective computing solution"
- Planworx adopts new working styles with infrastructure setup based on PRIMERGYand ETERNUS
- "The IT infrastructure developed with the support of Fujitsu and microstaxx has transformed planworx into one of the most state-of-the-art agencies in Germany"
- NetApp Hybrid-Flash storage accelerates the performance of SAP system and productivity at Augustiner-Bräu
- "Augustiner-Bräu prevents IT bottlenecks with Hybrid-Flash."
- NetApp AllFlash infrastructure takes the energy management systems at EnBW to the next level
- "All-Flash and storage on-demand for EnBW: Fujitsu and NetApp take IT energy management systems to the next level."
- All SAP and HANA systems at Berlin Hyp had been migrated to the high-secure Fujitsu data center
- Berlin Hyp chooses Fujitsu as its new data center operator due to the company’s high level of flexibility and excellent value for money.
- Al Ezzel Operation and Maintenance eliminates unauthorized access to SAP ERP systems with PalmSecure
- "Al Ezzel wanted to find a secure method of authenticating SAP users to eliminate unauthorized access so deployed FUJITSU PalmSecure™ for biometric recognition"
- Gluth Systemtechnik uses ETERNUS AF250 All Flash arrays to reduce working time on large CAD files by half
- "Gluth Systemtechnik reaps the benefits of a more performant Fujitsu server and All Flash storage infrastructure. The new solution has halved access times for large CAD files."
- Zinrai Deep Learning enables Kawasaki Geological Engineering to detect cavity responses with greater accuracy
- "Deployment of AI in analysis of under roadway cavity survey data brings objectivity to analysis results and halves work time."
- The Bank of Beirut and the Arab Countries accelerates the speed of customer responses by ten times with Fujitsu
- "BBAC deploys Fujitsu ETERNUS All-Flash storage to increase application performance times, making users more productive and customers happier."
- Integrated System PRIMEFLEX vShape improves system reliability and up-time at Nakilat
- "FUJITSU Integrated System PRIMEFLEX vShape improves operational excellence, enhances reliability and enables efficient management of Nakilat’s fleet."
- Sabesp runs SAP applications on PRIMEQUEST servers to ensure data security
- "Sabesp purchases Fujitsu servers featuring modern technology which provide improved flexibility in the use of tools and applications, as well as reducing costs."
- Integrated System PRIMEFLEX vShape accelerates business processes and increases productivity at Locarent car rental
- "Locarent deployed two FUJITSU PRIMEFLEX vShape solutions to support all core businessoperations - reducing costs, simplifying management and lowering energy consumption"
- Furniture manufacturer Germania virtualises data center with PRIMERGY Rack Servers
- "Furniture manufacturer Germania uses Fujitsu servers and storage devices to virtualize its IT environment and create a modern, reliable system."
- Gifu University improves quality of education using a Strategic Integration Database operated in the cloud
- "Gifu University asks Fujitsu to build a Strategic Integration Database that could pulldata together and present it visually to improve education quality."
- Schwan-STABILO Cosmetics accelerates database-intensive applications by migrating the ERP landscape to a virtualized SAP HANA environment.
- Fujitsu migrates Schwan-STABILO Cosmetics’ existing SAP ERP® landscape to a virtualized SAP HANA system environment.
- Cardinal House uses Hybrid IT with a flexible billing model to offer new games and services globally
- Cardinal House partners with Fujitsu to deliver gaming services worldwide, hosted on Amazon Web Services, for a flexible and cost-effective approach.
- ICE Special Cards leverages PalmSecure for access level control
- "ICE installs an access control system with a palm vein sensor, FUJITSU PalmSecure, to increase the security of critical access points."
- KOMLIS management information system makes data analysis fast and simple at Næstved Kommune
- The Municipality of Næstved wanted a more accurate view of employee sick leave, and so added an analysis module to its management information system FUJITSU KOMLIS.
- Caffè Moak accelerates business intelligence evaluations from 8 hours to near-real time with Integrated System PRIMEFLEX for SAP HANA
- Focused on expanding the target market and growing the business, the managers of Caffè Moak decided in 2016 to upgrade the company’s now obsolete IT system and adopt the SAP HANA environment, with a view to achieving real digital transformation. In the summer of that year, the company then embarked on a short but intense phase of analyzing the hardware platforms that were currently available on the market.
- Radiotherapiegroep Arnhem Clinic ensures patient identification with PalmSecure by 100 percent accuracy
- Radiotherapiegroep’s Arnhem Clinic has deployed biometric palm vein scanning to accurately identify patients during daily radiotherapy treatments.
- ServiceNow ensures a better service for students and staff at the University of Warwick
- When the University of Warwick’s in-house ServiceNow specialist departed, it was left without the necessary skills to maintain and develop this critical operational platform, responsible for handling thousands of requests per week. It needed a new partner that could enable cost-effective, on-site support.
- ServiceNow ensures a better service for students and staff at the University of Warwick
- The Hiroshima Prefectural Federation of Societies of Commerce and Industry makes consulting easier with Cloud Service MobileSUITE
- The Federation deployed Fujitsu tablets connected to a cloud platform that enables the consultants to instantly capture, upload and retrieve relevant information.
- Glycotope gains from fast and comprehensive deployment of SAP systems
- Biotechnology company Glycotope recently decided to professionalize its ERP processes by introducing SAP. Until this point, the SME had never had an integrated IT system. With Fujitsu’s help, Glycotope implemented a complete, standardized SAP environment within just four months, which it can now use to visualize and efficiently manage all of its business processes.
- HMRC’s Voice and Unified Communications platform now works on Fujitsu FAST Cloud
- In order for HMRC to transition to a consumption based cloud solution, it required a replacement for its existing Voice and Unified Communications service. The requirement was for an innovative, adaptable and cost-effective solution that allowed it to retain its existing handsets. The additional challenge was to deliver this solution within a six month transition period without any user disruption.
- Integrated System PRIMEFLEX® for SAP Landscapes enables Globus Group to use SAP systems quickly and flexibly
- Fujitsu provided a comprehensive “PRIMEFLEX for SAP Landscapes” concept, comprising FUJITSU x86 servers, Cisco Nexus network components, NetApp storage solutions and virtualization software from VMware.
- Cyber Threat Intelligence Services ensures the integrity of ICT at Scottish Water
- Scottish Water activated the Fujitsu Cyber Threat Intelligence service, which immediately identified the source of the unknown malware variant, cleaned infected devices and worked with Symantec to create a signature that would block it.
- Bharat Petroleum streamlines employees’ access with PalmSecure
- BPCL wanted to find a secure, reliable way to ease congestion at its refineries’ access points. Traditional methods such as ID cards or fingerprint recognition were either too slow or not accurate enough.
Share this page