Please see the How to Apply for Admission section below for a complete description of the application procedure.
Prospective students are encouraged to attend an information session or watch the online information session video before they apply. Admission is for the Fall semester only.
Selection is the joint responsibility of NYU Steinhardt's Office of Graduate Admissions and the Department of Occupational Therapy.
Application Due Date
Fall enrollment decisions are made by late-March. An official decision letter is emailed by the NYU Steinhardt's Office of Graduate Admissions.
How to Apply for Admission
It is important to read the information below before you begin the application process.
- Online Application- All applications must be submitted online
- Application Fee
- Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose
- You should provide:
- A synthesis of how your work/volunteer/life experiences led to choose the profession of Occupational Therapy?
- Formatting requirements:
- Maximum of 3 pages
- Times New Roman (size: 12)
- 1-inch margins (on all sides)
- You should provide:
- Two letters of recommendation
- One letter must be from an OT supervisor at a volunteer site.
- Transcripts. The admissions office requires one official transcript from every postsecondary institution attended. See more information on submitting transcripts.
- Prerequisite Checklist. Carefully read the Prerequisite Course Requirements information sheet before completing the Prerequisite Checklist.
- Applicants whose first language is not English are required to take one of the following English proficiency exams: TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic. See more information on English proficiency testing.
- Developmental Psychology (this course should cover the lifespan).
- Abnormal Psychology (this course should cover the lifespan).
- Behavioral Sciences (one additional social science course).
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II (with lab).
- Science prerequisites must have been completed within the previous ten years.
- Science prerequisites cannot be taken online. These courses must be taken in a classroom setting. Online and hybrid Anatomy and Physiology courses will not be accepted.
- Elementary Statistics
This combination of prerequisite courses is designed to offer applicants flexibility in acquiring the knowledge base necessary to succeed in our program and to reflect the diverse academic backgrounds of our prospective applicants.
Applications may be submitted prior to the completion of prerequisite courses. Prerequisite coursework must be completed by admitted students prior to beginning the fall semester. A minimum grade of B- is required for all prerequisites.
A bachelor's level undergraduate degree must be conferred before enrollment.
Prerequisite course listing and prerequisite checklist (PDF).
These two documents are available for download in PDF format. The PDF format can only be viewed using the Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is a free plug-in for your browser available for download. You can download the Acrobat Reader directly from Adobe by clicking here.
The application for graduate admission may be accessed by visiting: NYU Steinhardt's Office of Graduate Admissions.
MS (Professional) Graduate Application Guide
The Graduate Admissions Office strongly recommends all parts of the application be uploaded and submitted online. However, if any materials have to be mailed, you need to include the document cover sheet and send to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Items received without a document cover sheet take longer to process and match to your application.
If you have any questions you can contact the Associate Director of Enrollment and Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also encourage students with questions to attend or view our Information Session.
Thank you for your interest in graduate study at NYU Steinhardt. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates who hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
Follow the steps below to apply for a master's, doctoral, or advanced certificate degree program. If you are not applying for a degree, complete the non-matriculated student application.
How to Apply
1. Prepare Your Application
Start by selecting Master's Programs, Doctoral Programs, or Advanced Certificate Programs. You'll see a comprehensive list of our programs. Click on your program of interest to see the application guide and review the admissions instructions and requirements.
- Master’s Programs:
MA (master of arts), MFA (master of fine arts), MM (master of music), MS (master of science)
- Applied Statistics for Social Science Research (ASSR-MS)
- Art + Education: Art, Education, and Community Practice (AECP-MA)
- Art + Education: Teachers of Art, All Grades: Professional Certification (AREP-MA)
- Art + Education: Teaching Art, All Grades: Initial Certification (AREI-MA)
- Art Therapy (ARTT-MA)
- Bilingual Education for Teachers (BILM-MA)
- Business and Workplace Education (BWEM-MA)
- Childhood Education, Grades 1-6: Initial Certification (CHED-MA)
- Childhood Education/Special Ed: Childhood, Grades 1-6: Dual Certification (CSEC-MA)
- Communicative Sciences and Disorders (CSDM-MS)
- Communicative Sciences and Disorders – Online Program – Speech@NYU (YCSD-MS)
- Community Public Health: Community Health (HCPH/CPH-MPH)
- Community Public Health: International Community Health (HCPH/IPH-MPH)
- Community Public Health: Public Health Nutrition (HCPH/NPH-MPH)
- Costume Studies (ARCS-MA)
- Costume Studies and Library and Information Science - Dual Degree: Master of Art/Master of Science (CSLS-MA)
- Counseling and Guidance (MA) and LGBT (Certificate) - Dual Degree (CNGG-MA/ADCRT)
- Counseling and Guidance – Online Program – Counseling@NYU (YCNG-MA)
- Counseling and Guidance: with a Concentration in Bilingual School Counselor K-12 (CNGU/CGB-MA)
- Counseling and Guidance: with a Concentration in Counselor in Schools K-12 (CNGU/CGS-MA)
- Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness (CMHW-MA)
- Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness (MA) and LGBT (Certificate) - Dual Degree (CMLG-MA/ADCRT)
- Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness – Online Program – Counseling@NYU (YCMH-MA)
- Dance Education: Teachers of Dance, All Grades: Professional Certification (DATP-MA)
- Dance Education: Teaching Dance in the Professions (DAPR-MA)
- Dance Education: Teaching Dance in the Professions: American Ballet Theatre Pedagogy (DAPR/ABT-MA)
- Dance Education: Teaching Dance, All Grades: Initial Certification (DATC-MA)
- Dance Education: Teaching Dance, All Grades: Initial Certification and Tisch MFA in Dance - Dual Degree (DEDA-MA)
- Digital Media Design for Learning (DMDL-MA)
- Drama Therapy (DRMT-MA)
- Drama Therapy: 60-Credit Option (DRRL-MA)
- Early Childhood Ed/Special Ed: Early Childhood, Birth-Grade 2: Dual Certification (ESEE-MA)
- Early Childhood Education, Birth to Grade 2: Initial Certification (ECED-MA)
- Education and Jewish Studies (EDJS-MA)
- Education and Jewish Studies and Hebrew and Judaic Studies - Dual Degree: Steinhardt/GSAS (EJHJ-MA)
- Education and Social Policy (EDSP-MA)
- Educational Leadership, Politics, and Advocacy (ELPA-MA)
- Educational Leadership: School Building Leader (ELSB-MA)
- Educational Theatre in Colleges and Communities (EDTC-MA)
- Educational Theatre, All Grades and English 7-12: Dual Certification (ETED-MA)
- Educational Theatre, All Grades and Social Studies 7-12: Dual Certification (ETSS-MA)
- Educational Theatre, All Grades: Initial Certification (EDTA-MA)
- English Education and Teaching Students with Disabilities: Teaching English and Teaching Students with Disabilities, Grades 7-12: Dual Initial Certification (ENGG-MA)
- English Education: Teachers of English 7-12: Professional Certification (ENGP-MA)
- English Education: Teachers of English Language and Literature in Colleges: Non-Certification (ENGC-MA)
- English Education: Teaching English Grades 7-12: Initial Certification (ENGL-MA)
- Environmental Conservation Education (ENYC-MA)
- Food Studies (FOOD-MA)
- Food Studies and Library and Information Science - Dual Degree: Master of Arts/Master of Science (FSLS-MA)
- Foreign Language Education (FLED-MA)
- Games for Learning (GLET-MS)
- Higher Education and Student Affairs (HESA-MA)
- History of Education (HSED-MA)
- Human Development and Social Intervention (HDSI-MA)
- Human Development and Social Intervention (MA) and LGBT (Certificate) - Dual Degree (HDLG-MA/ADCRT)
- Instrumental Performance (MUIP-MM)
- Instrumental Performance: Jazz Instrumental Performance (MUIP/JIP-MM)
- International Education (INTS-MA)
- Literacy, Birth-Grade 6 (LITB-MA)
- Literacy, Grades 5-12 (LITC-MA)
- Master's Degree Programs in Teaching and Learning
- Mathematics Education: Teachers of Mathematics 7-12: Professional Certification (MTHP-MA)
- Mathematics Education: Teaching Mathematics Grades 7-12: Initial Certification (MTHE-MA)
- Media, Culture, and Communication (MDCC-MA)
- Media, Culture, and Communication and Library and Information Science - Dual Degree: Master of Arts/Master of Science (MCLS-MA)
- Music Business (MUBG-MA)
- Music Business: Concentration in Music Technology (MUBG:TTT-MA)
- Music Education: BM Music/MA Music Education - Dual Degree: For current NYU Steinhardt students ONLY (MUSD-MA)
- Music Education: For Schools, Colleges, and Communities (MUSE/MCU-MA)
- Music Education: Teaching Music, All Grades: Initial Certification (MUSA-MA)
- Music Technology (MUMT-MM)
- Music Technology and Advanced Certificate in Tonmeister Studies - Dual Degree (MTTD-MM/ADCRT)
- Music Theory and Composition (MTAC-MM)
- Music Theory and Composition: Scoring for Film and Multimedia (MTAC/FMS-MM)
- Music Theory and Composition: Songwriting (MTAC/SGW-MM)
- Music Therapy (MUST-MA)
- Nutrition and Dietetics: Clinical Nutrition (HOND/CNU-MS)
- Nutrition and Dietetics: Foods and Nutrition (HOND/FNU-MS)
- Occupational Therapy (MS) and (OTD) - Two-Tiered Degree (OTDD-MS/OTD)
- Occupational Therapy – Advanced OT – For Occupational Therapists ONLY (OTTH-MA)
- Occupational Therapy: Professional Program (OTHR-MS)
- Performing Arts Administration (AADP-MA)
- Performing Arts Administration MA and Tisch BFA in Drama - Dual Degree (AAPD-MA)
- Physical Therapists: Kinesiology (PTHP-MA)
- Piano Performance Concentration in Solo Piano and Advanced Certificate in Piano Performance and Pedagogy - Dual Degree (MPPD-MM/ADCRT)
- Piano Performance: Collaborative Piano (MUPP/CPI-MM)
- Piano Performance: Solo Piano (MUPP/SPI-MM)
- Secondary Education, Grades 7-12: Initial Certification (EMT-MAT)
- Social Studies Education and Teaching Students with Disabilities: Teaching Social Studies and Teaching Students with Disabilities, Grades 7-12: Dual Initial Certification (SOCG-MA)
- Social Studies Education: Teachers of Social Studies, Grades 7-12: Professional Certification (SSSP-MA)
- Social Studies Education: Teaching Social Studies Grades 7-12: Initial Certification (SSST-MA)
- Sociology of Education (SOED-MA)
- Special Education: Childhood (SECH-MA)
- Special Education: Early Childhood (SEEC-MA)
- Studio Art (ARSA-MFA)
- Teacher Education Dual-Degree Programs for NYU CAS Students - Accelerated BA/MA
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TSOL-MA)
- Teaching a Foreign Language 7-12 and TESOL, All Grades: Dual Certification (FLTS-MA)
- Teaching a Foreign Language 7-12: Initial Certification - Master of Arts Programs
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages "TESOL": Initial Certification (TSOG-MA)
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages – Shanghai Program (TSOL/SHY-MA)
- Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language: Joint Degree: Steinhardt and GSAS - Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language (7-12) and TESOL (All Grades) (FLTS/SLT-MA)
- Visual Arts Administration (ARVA-MA)
- Vocal Performance: Classical Voice (MUVP/CLV-MM)
- Vocal Performance: Music Theatre Performance (MUVP/MTP-MM)
- Vocal Performance/Vocal Pedagogy: Classical Voice - Dual Degree: Master of Music/Advanced Certificate (MVPR/CLV-MM/ADCRT)
- Vocal Performance/Vocal Pedagogy: Music Theatre Performance - Dual Degree: Master of Music/Advanced Certificate (MVPR/MTH-MM/ADCRT)
- Doctoral Programs:
PhD (doctor of philosophy), EdD (doctor of education), DPT (doctor of physical therapy), OTD (doctor of occupational therapy)
- Advanced Certificate Programs:
A note about multiple applications. Although you may apply to more than one school at NYU, you may submit only one application to NYU Steinhardt. Submitting multiple applications will delay your decision and could potentially hinder your status.
Other helpful links as you research graduate study at Steinhardt:
Begin your application by following the instructions to create an account. You can start working on it, save it, and use your login information to return to it later. You will be asked to submit the application fee using a major credit card.
You may need to submit transcripts, a statement of purpose, a résumé or CV, letters of recommendation, test scores, and supporting materials such as supplemental essays or a portfolio. For more detailed instructions, see the application guide page for your program.
After you fill in and upload all the required information, you can submit your completed application. You will be prompted to pay the application fee by major credit card and will see your application status change from “saved” to “submitted.” Please print the submitted status screen for your records. If your application status is listed as submitted, your application has been successfully sent.
If your program of interest requires standardized test scores, you must request your official scores be sent directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
Mailing Additional Items
If any remaining application materials need to be mailed to our office, mail the materials together in a single mailing using this document cover sheet. Items received without the cover sheet take longer to process and match to your application. Please do not mail your materials in binders or folders.
Materials must be received by, not postmarked by, the stated deadline. Only completed applications will be considered and reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Due to high volume, we are unable to confirm receipt of mailed materials.
3. Receive Your Admission Decision
You will be notified about your decision by email. Typically, decisions will start going out in late November for Spring semester enrollment and in late March or early April for Summer or Fall enrollment. You may learn of your decision before or after this timeline.
Policy on Application Fee Waivers
Graduate application fee waivers are provided for the following groups of candidates:
- Fulbright or other sponsored student being placed through an agency such as IIE
- Participants in the Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
- McNair scholars
- Current Steinhardt undergraduate students
- Candidates also applying to the Bronx VA internship with our MS in nutrition program
- City Year alumna/alumnus
- Current participants with University Study
- Current participants with IAE Global
- Participant in Project 1000
- Teach for America alumna/alumnus
- AmeriCorps alumna/alumnus
- Returned Peace Corps volunteers, who have completed or will complete their service prior to enrolling at NYU Steinhardt.
- Members of the U.S. Military/National Guard or U.S.veteran
- The application fee poses a financial hardship
During the application submission process you will be asked if you are among any of these groups. Responding yes will waive your application fee. NYU Steinhardt reserves the right to request additional information to verify your status in any of these categories. Once an application fee is paid, it will not be refunded.
Fee waiver policies for the following degree programs are administered by centralized application services. NYU Steinhardt has no influence over who is eligible for an application fee waiver and whether or not these servies will grant a fee waiver. For more information follow the link provided:
- MS in communicative sciences and disorders (on-campus) - administered through CSDCAS
- DPT entry level program - administered through PTCAS